db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "David Van Couvering" <da...@vancouvering.com>
Subject Re: JNLP storage factory & experimental modules
Date Thu, 14 Jun 2007 15:55:31 GMT
> David Van Couvering wrote:
> > +1, I agree it's just too tight for 10.3.
> >
> > I'd like your response to my proposal for the experimental directory;
> > right now I'm moving forward with it (for checkin to the trunk *after*
> > we branch for 10.3).
>
> I thought we had one already, it's called trunk. :-)

OK, fair enough, but at some point in the release cycle the trunk
moves from an "experimental" place to a place that requires stability
and only features that we are comfortable supporting.  It is not clear
to me when or how that transformation takes place...

> > The one thing I want to see is making our daily builds available for
> > download so that people can play with our stuff (or is that already
> > available and I don't know about it?)
>
> Daily builds are available though not directly from the ASF, but from
> groups (well at least one) who chose to them available. Anyone could do
> this if they so desire.
>

> Recently there was some effort at removing visibility to users of
> non-release builds from ASF infrastructure, to ensure that users were
> picking up official ASF releases. There seemed to be some confusion as
> to why but it did seem to be a mandate from the board. You may want to
> look in the archives for real details as I could be wrong (maybe
> infrastructure and derby-dev within the last 9 months?)

Well, if the ASF doesn't want to make non-official "releases"
available, then I believe the ASF needs to come up with an approved
way of making daily or milestone builds available.  Many people want
to experiment with new stuff but they are not going to do it if they
have to learn how to build it.  I know we all know how to build Derby,
but setup is not easy and we shouldn't force that on our users who
want to check out our new stuff and give us feedback.

David