db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Should JUnit tests automate closing statements
Date Sat, 30 Jun 2007 16:51:39 GMT
Bryan Pendleton wrote:
>> I thinking about automating the close on tearDown() in
>> BaseJDBCTestCase for any statement opened via any utility method, such
>> as createStatement(), prepareStatement(), prepareCall() etc.
>
> The goal of this is to avoid application-level leaks when many tests are
> run?

Could be one reason.

I see a few benefits:

  - A test would be more likely to perform complete cleanup. This
reduces the risk of cross-fixture contamination (open objects in one
fixture causing issues for other fixtures).

  - It also could save developer time by not having to investigate other
fixtures when one fails. E.g. if I see a unexpected result set open
exception in a fixture and saw that three other fixtures didn't close
their JDBC objects I would spend time cleaning up those tests to ensure
that they were not interfering. Automatic cleanup would ensure I would
have to spend minimal amount of time cleaning up other tests before
looking at the actual problem.

  - Maybe minor, but it would reduce the amount of code in a test
fixture, this allowing the reader to focus on the actual test cases.
That's really what the utility methods are for.

Dan.