db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: DERBY-2831 create function in a non-existent schema causes null pointer exception
Date Thu, 28 Jun 2007 18:03:20 GMT
Mamta Satoor wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am starting to work on DERBY-2831. For some reason the Jira entry
> *https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-2831*
>
> is not coming up correctly so I wanted to share on the list how I am
> thinking of fixing the bug. Let me know if anyone has any comments.
>
> Since a function can be created only in user schemas, I am thinking that
> I can use DataDictionary.getCollationTypeOfUserSchemas to set the
> collation type in CreateAliasNode.typeDescriptorWithCorrectCollation
> rather than going through the function's schema name. I will start
> working towards that solution. If anyone has any feedback on it, please
> let me know.

Seems like this should not be logic confined to CreateAliasNode but
instead centralized for all DDL nodes. Shouldn't CreateAliasNode be
using DDLStatementNode.getSchemaDescriptor() and shouldn't the schema
descriptor returned by that method already have the correct collation setup?

Also the changing character type descriptors for RoutineAliasInfo in
CreateAliasNode is only performed for functions, not procedures? I don't
see any comments indicating why that is the case? Could you explain why
and add those comments to the code sometime?

Thanks,
Dan.