db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hille...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Derby on Ipv6
Date Tue, 26 Jun 2007 16:22:11 GMT
Daniel John Debrunner wrote:
> Rick Hillegas wrote:
>
>> Ah, I misread Manjula's post. What will happen is this:
>>
>> 1) The policy file grants accept permission to
>> "${derby.security.host}:*"
>
> According to this:
>
> http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/technotes/guides/security/permissions.html#SocketPermission

> '*' is not a valid value for the port range.
>
>     host = (hostname | IPaddress)[:portrange]
>     portrange = portnumber | -portnumber | portnumber-[portnumber]
>
> Not sure if it would be the problem, but I'm not sure that we should
> have a '*' there.
>
> Dan.
I changed the permission in the default policy file to this:

grant codeBase "${derby.install.url}derbynet.jar"
{
//
// This permission lets the Network Server manage connections from clients.
//
  permission java.net.SocketPermission "${derby.security.host}", "accept";
};

On my ipv4 box I brought up a server on the default host (I did not
specify a -h option) and observed that it installed a security manager.
I was able to successfully connect using ij and I was able to
successfully shutdown the network server.

Manjula, could you try this permission on your ipv6 machine?

Thanks,
-Rick