db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Derby on Ipv6
Date Tue, 26 Jun 2007 15:29:52 GMT
Rick Hillegas wrote:
> Manjula Kutty wrote:
>>
>> Hi
>>
>> While running tests on Ipv6 machines using the 10.3 jars with the
>> default security manager, I had the following findings/questions
>> I started the server like this java
>> org.apache.derby.drda.NetworkServerControl start -h
>> 2002:92a:8f7a:13:9:42:74:19

> Thanks for test-driving this on ipv6. The machines handy to me are all
> ipv4 so I can't reproduce your experiment yet. However, it seems to me
> that, given your command line, the default policy file is going to grant
> derbynet.jar accept permission on localhost:*. On an ipv6 machine this
> may not be a legal address.

Why given the host name of '2002:92a:8f7a:13:9:42:74:19' is the policy
file being set up to use 'localhost'? If the -h had been a hostname or
its ip(4) address then I wouldn't expect the policy file to use
'localhost' because as I understand it such a hostname means it will
accept remote connections.

Dan.