db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kathey Marsden <kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject comparisons between system and user table columns with TERRITORY_BASED collation
Date Fri, 22 Jun 2007 22:28:53 GMT
If I create a database with TERRITORY_BASED collation and try to do a
comparison between a user table column and a system table column, I get
the following message.  If I create it with UCS_BASIC collation there is
no problem with the query.  It makes sense to me that I can't compare
these columns but I wonder if it would be worthwhile to make a more
informative error message since in fact normally comparisons between
VARCHAR and VARCHAR are supported, just not comparisons between
TERRITORY_BASED and UCS_BASIC.

Thoughts?

Kathey

ij> connect
'jdbc:derby:enusdb;create=true;territory=en_US;collation=TERRITORY_BASED';
ij(CONNECTION1)> create table t (vc varchar(30));
0 rows inserted/updated/deleted
ij(CONNECTION1)> insert into t values('t');
1 row inserted/updated/deleted
ij(CONNECTION1)> select tableName, vc from sys.systables, t  where vc =
tableName;
ERROR 42818: Comparisons between 'VARCHAR' and 'VARCHAR' are not supported.