db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hille...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Jira...Release Note Needed & Existing Application Impact
Date Thu, 21 Jun 2007 14:25:47 GMT
Kristian Waagan wrote:
> Myrna van Lunteren wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've been struggling with the semantics/use/purpose of the flags, in
>> particular 'Existing Application Impact' and 'Release Note Needed'...
>
> I'm a bit lost on these two too!
>
> On a Jira issue I worked on, requiring a release note, I first didn't
> tick any of them because it was not clear that it needed a release note.
>
> When this was determined, I ticked the "Release Note Needed" and when
> the release note was done, I was adviced to untick the "Release Note
> Needed" and tick "Existing Application Impact".
>
> I did as described above, but noticed that the "Release Note Needed"
> was later ticked again by someone else, possibly because the release
> note generator did not pick it up or something.
>
> Does anyone have an answer for me on this one?
> Based on the descriptions below, I believe the process described is
> incorrect and that "Release Note Needed" should stay ticked.
>

> thanks,
Hi Kristian,

You are correct. The ReleaseNotesGenerator looks for the "Release Note
Needed" flag in order to compile its list of JIRAs which have release
notes. I suppose that the ReleaseNotesGenerator could just look for
issues which have a releaseNote.html attached.

The current approach makes it easy to change your mind and decide that a
JIRA doesn't need a release note: you just uncheck a box. Changing your
mind would be harder under the other approach: you would have to delete
all of the versions of the attached release note--the power to do this
seems to be limited to JIRA administrators.

Regards,
-Rick