db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hille...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Jira...Release Note Needed & Existing Application Impact
Date Wed, 20 Jun 2007 13:53:28 GMT
Myrna van Lunteren wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been struggling with the semantics/use/purpose of the flags, in
> particular 'Existing Application Impact' and 'Release Note Needed'...
>
> I am wondering if we should have a short hint behind the flags.
>
> Something like:
> Patch Available: indicates that a patch is available for review and/or
> commit. Gets picked up by daily automated mail.
> Existing Application impact.An existing application can be impacted by
> the solution to this issue.
> Regression; the behavior described is worse than in previous
> versions/builds.
> Release Note Needed: indicates a releaseNote.html is/should be
> attached. The releaseNote.html will be automatically included in the
> RELEASE-NOTES.html at release time when this flag is on.
>
> Myrna
Where would we put these hints? There's a nicely formatted explanation
of Derby JIRAs attached to
http://db.apache.org/derby/DerbyBugGuidelines.html However, it doesn't
mention a number of interesting fields, including the Urgency field and
the flags. That page, in turn, is also referenced by the wiki:
http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/DerbyDev The instructions for creating a
release note are hung off a wiki page dealing with the patch process:
http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/DerbyCommitProcess

It would be good to have one place where a new developer could go to
learn our JIRA-related conventions. Is there such a page already and I
just can't find it? Is the nicely formatted document the right
place--and it just needs to be refreshed with more information and new
screen shots?

Thanks,
-Rick