db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Bryan Pendleton <bpendle...@amberpoint.com>
Subject Re: Newcomer observation: contribution/commit testing takes too long!?
Date Mon, 18 Jun 2007 18:07:30 GMT
>> IMHO the tests you need to run before submitting a patch, that is
>> suites.All and derbyall, take too long to run.

Actually, I don't think there are *any* tests that you *need* to
run before submitting a patch, assuming that by "submitting" you
mean "attaching the patch to a JIRA issue".

Dan's comment in the issue that Kathey mentioned is particularly
worth reading carefully regarding this:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-1116#action_12370592

In my opinion, any interested user should feel free to attach a
patch to a JIRA issue at any time, hopefully with comments explaining
what the patch is and why the community might be interested.
Running tests is certainly nice, but I think we should make the
bar for getting involved as low as possible.

Considerable additional information is available at
http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/PatchAdvice and
http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/IncrementalDevelopment

thanks,

bryan