db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hille...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: New lint tool for verifying that your release note can be digested by the build processes
Date Mon, 18 Jun 2007 15:42:30 GMT
Bernt M. Johnsen wrote:

>> Before attaching a release note to a JIRA, please run the following lint
>> tool on your release note. This will help us catch problems early on so
>> that release generation will be easier:
>>
>>    java org.apache.derbyBuild.ReleaseNoteReader RELEASE_NOTE_FILE
>>
>> where RELEASE_NOTE_FILE is the name of the file which holds your release
>> note. I have documented this extra lint step at
>> http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/ReleaseNoteProcess
>>

> Re your release notes scrubbing: Should not this wiki page state that
> the release not file should be XHTML , and should'nt then the
> releaseNote file have the extension .xhmtl?

Hi Bernt,

I took a releaseNote.html and converted it to releaseNote.xhtml as follows:

1) I added the following boilerplate to the beginning of the file:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>

2) Then I changed the <html> tag to the following. This was the crucial
step which convinced Firefox to display the file as html rather than as
xml. I don't know if this will coax other browsers to do the same:

The result was a file which:

A) Declared its namespace--always a good thing.

B) Displayed as html (and was accepted by the lint tool) provided that
the syntax looked good.

C) Displayed as parser diagnostics (and flunked the lint tool) if I
inserted broken syntax.

For the next release, I think that we could move to xhtml rather than
html as the format for release notes. However, before making that
change, I would like to feel confident that this xhtml displays as html
in other browsers like Internet Explorer and Safari. That will help
people write xhtml that looks right in addition to being safe for the
SAX parser. I'm attaching my simple test file. I would appreciate
feedback from people who pilot other browsers.

Thanks,
-Rick