db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Thomas Nielsen <Thomas.Niel...@Sun.COM>
Subject Newcomer observation: contribution/commit testing takes too long!?
Date Mon, 18 Jun 2007 13:16:37 GMT
Hi all,

I have couple of newcomer observations I want to share with you.

These may have been issue of a lot of discussion, if so please excuse my
ramblings below.

First,

IMHO the tests you need to run before submitting a patch, that is
suites.All and derbyall, take too long to run. On my reasonably new box*
it takes in excess of 2 hrs to run them both.

In the name of efficiency - would it be possible to define a subset of
suites.All (or other test) that covers most functionallity, but does not
exceed, say, 1 hr runtime?

Yes, I could run suites.All and derbyall in parallel on multiple boxes
to cut the wait, but not everyone is entitled to such luxury.

Yes, I'll most likely run with multiple sandboxes to do parallel work,
but as a newcomer I don't. Now there are rumors that I can't run
multiple tests on different sandbox'es in parallel due to port usage
issues, that may stop me from doing that still.

Yes, one would in some cases need to run some additional tests - even
suites.All and derbyall - but for a lot of (most?) JIRAs a
"suites.contribute" (or whatever it would be called) would/should be
sufficient.

Yes, such a contribution/commit test requires that some entity runs the
complete suite on a regular basis, no less than daily, to catch errors
as they are introduced.

I didn't raise a JIRA on this as it's just an observation and food for
thought and discussion...

Secondly,

Now, I said couple of issues - you'll need to wait about 2 hrs until my
next test cycle is done... ;)

Cheers,
Thomas

*AMD x64, Solaris 10 x86, Suns JDK 1.5