db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Daily and milestone builds (was Re: JNLP storage factory & experimental modules)
Date Fri, 15 Jun 2007 17:58:00 GMT
Mike Matrigali wrote:
> Sounds good to me, but I didn't understand the apache mandate.  I think
> we are pretty well set up to do this safely already with jars from the
> trunk as they are always have build numbers, and are marked as alpha
> with all the upgrade safety checking.

I don't think it's anything to do with quality or backwards
compatibility. I think it's more ensuring the code is suitable for
release from a "legal" point, has the PMC checked that everything is in
order, no code/jars in the release that shouldn't be there, etc. etc.

> Under the apache rules can we define a trunk milestone release, which
> is something like an alpha?  Some small process is probably reasonable
> so that someone can take a look at the set of tests we already run
> and decide or not to "release" it.   It would be nice to be able to
> point a user at a set of alpha jars that has a recent bug fix to allow
> them to verify it before it goes into a real release.

I think anything to fine to release from ASF if it has the required
number of PMC votes. That's what makes it an official release.

But I would encourage anyone who wants to pursue this to go back and
look at the archives when the issue of removing "daily builds et al"
from users' view was raised.

Dan.