db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From John Embretsen <John.Embret...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: What are 'Optimized jarfiles' ?
Date Fri, 15 Jun 2007 08:00:04 GMT
Laura Stewart wrote:

>  From what I understand form John, what are in the BIN and LIB
> distributions are the same.  I am not sure what was meant by
> "optimized".

Well, as I wrote in a comment to DERBY-2390, "the so-called optimized jars (i.e.
the non-debug jars, without extra line number information) are part of both the
lib and the bin distributions. The non-optimized (debug) jars are in the
lib-debug distribution only."

In other words, "optimized" basically means smaller footprint (for example,
derby.jar is almost 1 MB larger in lib-debug than lib for 10.2.2.0), because the
classes in the "optimized" jars don't include extra debug information such as
line numbers in stack traces. I don't know if the extra debug information has
any negative effects other than increased file size.

I too felt somewhat uncomfortable with the term "optimized jars" at first, but I
think I'm getting used to it know that I know what it means ;)

--
John