db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: 10.3 branching countdown: less than 24 hours...
Date Fri, 15 Jun 2007 03:50:20 GMT
Rick Hillegas wrote:
> Myrna van Lunteren wrote:
>> I also want to point out that it seems we're still getting a number of
>> bugs from the testing - and we haven't started on the official testing
>> cycle yet.
>>
>> So, I think at this point it's likely there's going to be a second
>> release candidate.
>>
>> As is our practice, I assume each committer will be taking care of
>> committing to trunk and backporting to the 10.3-branch-to-be-created.
>>
>> I'll adjust the 10.3 wiki soon.
>>
>> Silly question: should our first candidate release off the branch be
>> version 10.3.0.0 or 10.3.0.1?
>>
>> Myrna
> Hi Myrna,
>
> I think that 10.3.0.0 would be a fine name for the first release
> candidate. If we followed the pattern of the last two branches, however,
> the first release candidate would be called 10.3.1.0. I don't see a
> compelling reason to follow that pattern.

If there's a possibility that the first candidate could become a release
then it should be 10.3.1.0. Otherwise the official release would be
alpha (forced by the third 0 x.x.0.x) and would not upgrade from
previous releases. And if it's a "release candidate" then that seems to
indicate it could become an official release!!

Dan.