db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kim Haase <Camilla.Ha...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Terminology question - are dblook, ij, and sysinfo Tools or Utilties?
Date Fri, 08 Jun 2007 20:42:46 GMT
In my experience, "tool" and "utility" are synonyms and can be used
interchangeably. Of course, if we follow the elementary tech writing
rule "Always use the same word to mean the same thing," we ought to
choose one of them and use it consistently, but that may be too much to
ask in community-generated docs. The merger of the GS and WWD books does
give you a chance to do it right for these, though!

Which you use I think depends on whether you prefer Anglo-Saxon
monosyllables or Latinate polysyllables.

HTH,
Kim