db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@apache.org>
Subject Minor inconsistency in collation wiki page.
Date Fri, 08 Jun 2007 01:51:58 GMT
http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/BuiltInLanguageBasedOrderingDERBY-1478

In the list of collation rules on this page I think there is a minor
inconsistency, or maybe some clarification needed.

Item "3)<character string type>" defines the implementation defined for
explicit character types, such as 'CHAR(10)'.

As an example rule 4) for CAST correctly is based upon rule 3.

Item 7, however for user defined function's returns clause, e.g.
'RETURNS CHAR(10)' applies a different rule, even though according to
the SQL standard CHAR(10) in a returns clause is the same as CHAR(10) in
a CAST, in fact the same everywhere except in a column definition.

I can see the logic for rule 7 and it is probably correct, which just
means I think the implementation defined rule for 3) needs to be
clarified or expanded. Maybe replace:

Derby's implementation-defined character set for such <character string
type> to be current schema's character set.

with

Derby's implementation-defined character set for such <character string
type> to be the character set of the schema associated with an object.
For a DDL statement it is the schema the object resides in, for any
other statement it is the current compilation schema.

Dan.