db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Mike Matrigali <mikem_...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: errors in junit tests
Date Tue, 05 Jun 2007 23:53:04 GMT

Dag H. Wanvik wrote:
> Julius Stroffek <Julius.Stroffek@Sun.COM> writes:
>
>> If I run the tests without oldReleasePath specified it does not succeed
>> to find the releases from the apache site. I have to use proxy to
>> connect to internet so I would expect that there might be an issue with
>> a proxy setup.
>
> I battled this one as well (my old setup had the "lib" level still);
> it would be nice if the tests fail a little more graciously if
> fetching from the subversion repository doesn't work.
>
> Dag
>
>> Does anybody know how can I setup the proxy for upgradeTests? I tried to
>> use 'jcontrol' to set it up but that seems to be not sufficient.

I think there are 2 code paths here:
1) you use the -D oldReleasePath to set explicitly where to find the
libraries.
2) the new automatic internet search for the "standard" set of libs from
known svn.

In case 1 upgrade would just silently run whatever set of releases it
finds there.  Not completely sure what it would do when it found none.

It seems the upgrade tests should just silently not run whatever libs it
can't get access to, developers should be allowed to run tests
disconnected and get no errors.  It might be nice to get a message that
tests were skipped for this reason but I don't think that fits our
current junit suite test model.

I assume the problems are some unhandled exceptions when searching for
the libraries which probably should be caught and handled as libraries
not found.