db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Knut Anders Hatlen <Knut.Hat...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Another collation question - Derby-1478 and Derby-2377
Date Wed, 16 May 2007 21:02:57 GMT
Mike Matrigali <mikem_app@sbcglobal.net> writes:

>> We should have a complete list of the data types that are impacted by
>> collation.
>> CHAR
>> VARCHAR
>> CLOB ?
> I believe it is
> CHAR
> VARCHAR
> LONG VARCHAR
> CLOB

How are LONG VARCHAR and CLOB affected by collation? It seems like Derby
doesn't support comparisons involving these data types. For instance,
when trying to order by a CLOB column, I see this error:

ERROR X0X67: Columns of type 'CLOB' may not be used in CREATE INDEX,
ORDER BY, GROUP BY, UNION, INTERSECT, EXCEPT or DISTINCT statements
because comparisons are not supported for that type.

--
Knut Anders