db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Knut Anders Hatlen <Knut.Hat...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Status of encodingTests
Date Sat, 19 May 2007 13:45:28 GMT
Øystein Grøvlen <Oystein.Grovlen@Sun.COM> writes:

> What is the current status of encodingTests in the old test suite?
> DERBY-2568 mentions that it has been reported to be invalid.

I think there are strong arguments for removing the entire suite. It has
also been discussed in DERBY-2446.

> The reason I ask is that when I run with locators for Blob, derbyall
> fails in TestPreparedStatementMethods.  This test has been converted
> to JUnit and called PreparedStatementTest.  I assume the reason it is
> still run in the old harness is the encoding tests.  In order to get
> derbyall to run without failures with locators, I would have to fix
> the same issues that I have already fixed for PreparedStatementTest.
> That would be a waste of time if the encoding tests are not valid.

Is it still part of the encodingTests suite? derbynet/TestEnc.java is
the only test mentioned in encodingTests.runall.

> I guess I have three options:
>
> 1. Fix Blob lifespan issues in TestPreparedStatementMethods, and
> continue with two versions of the same test.
> 2. Disable TestPreparedStatementMethods (similar to what is done for
> LobStreamsTest in DERBY-2568).
> 3. Find some way that the Junit test PreparedStatementTest can be used
> for the encoding test, instead.
>
> Since I am getting short on time wrt code freeze, I am tempted to go
> with the 2nd alternative. Objections?

Given that it only runs under the jdbc40 suite and that
jdbc4.PreparedStatementTest has the same coverage (which seems to be the
case), I think option 2 is the best alternative.

--
Knut Anders