db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Dyre.Tjeldv...@Sun.COM
Subject Debug tracing
Date Thu, 03 May 2007 09:54:01 GMT
During my dives into the Derby source I have stumbled across
SanityManager.DEBUG_ON() which allows you to turn on specific behavior
in a sane Derby through the properties derby.debug.true and
derby.debug.false. Or rather, that is my understanding after reading
the code.

Is this stuff expained anywhere? I tried searching db.apache.org with
google, but I didn't find anything. There is the Javadoc for
SanityManager, but does not explain which property to set, and the
values to use. There also appears to be possible to use different
logging streams.

Assuming such a document doesn't exist: Would it be good to collect
some "best practices" for this, say on the Wiki? Stuff like:

- When to use logging streams, and when is System.out System.err is OK?
- Which stream to use, and how to obtain it
- Threading implications
- Performance considerations
- Guidelines for making new debug flags. Should there be some kind of
  convention to avoid name clashes?

I can volunteer to create such a Wiki page. Just wanted to know if
there is an an "oral tradition" for this.

--
dt