db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Myrna van Lunteren" <m.v.lunte...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: release notes for "wrong results" bugs?
Date Tue, 22 May 2007 18:23:21 GMT
On 5/22/07, Army <qozinx@gmail.com> wrote:
> Do we need to write release notes for "wrong results" bugs, or are they just
> treated as normal Jira entries?  See esp. issues linked to DERBY-2034.
> I think DERBY-2370 needs a release note because a query that used to compile and
> execute now throws an error, per:
>   http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.apache.db.derby.devel/40594/focus=40840
> But do the other ones?
> Army

It's an interesting question, that I've been mulling over...
my 2 cents:

All changes that cause a behavior change that could impact existing
application behavior need a release note.
If the change is an obvious bug fix, i.e. behavior xyz incorrectly
gave an error and now returns correct results, I think it doesn't need
a release note.

After those rules, it's a very open area...
Anyone can look at the bug in JIRA to find information. However, I
think sometimes the actual change and its impact are 'hidden' in the
jira actions, especially if the change and the description of the JIRA
case have diverged...in that case, it may make sense to create a
release note.

View raw message