db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Myrna van Lunteren" <m.v.lunte...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: discussion re DERBY-1746 - upgrade tests
Date Wed, 16 May 2007 20:05:53 GMT
> Andrew McIntyre wrote:
> > On 5/15/07, Myrna van Lunteren <m.v.lunteren@gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> While I don't think we can automatically force everyone to run the
> >> junit upgrade tests with all older releases, we should make it as easy
> >> as possible.
> >>
> >> I like having all older releases' jar files readily available in svn -
> >> however, I don't want to duplicate them, I don't want all files in my
> >> trunk co, and I want the svn:externals to be as simple as possible and
> >> not require maintenance for future older point releases. And I don't
> >> actually access them that much and they're always available in the
> >> offiical distribution files.
>
> I think the upgrade tests could use the jar files directly from
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/db/derby/jars
> and thus not need to have them copied into a client using svn:externals.
> Of course one would need to be on-line to run the tests ...
>
> Dan.

Thanks for that suggestion.
I've implemented it and will commit shortly.
I'll leave the checked in derby*.jar files as is.
I am removing the 'lib' subdirectory from the upgrade tests' needs.
I am removing the svn:externals property from java/tools/testing.

The way it will work now, is:
- if the derbyTesting.oldReleasePath property is not set, the test
will attempt to access the jars from
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/db/derby/jars. If svn.apache.org is
not accessible (either because there is no network, or there is some
other problem with connecting to svn.apache.org), the tests will run
but fail.
- if the property is set, the test will attempt to access the jars
directly underneath
subdirectories with the version strings. If the jars are not found,
the tests will get skipped.

So, after my change the following command:
  > java -DderbyTesting.oldReleasePath=/home/myrna/oldderbyreleases
junit.textui.TestRunner
org.apache.derbyTesting.functionTests.tests.upgradeTests._Suite
will look for the following files:
  /home/myrna/oldderbyreleases/10.0.2.1/derby.jar
  /home/myrna/oldderbyreleases/10.1.1.0/derby.jar
  /home/myrna/oldderbyreleases/10.1.2.1/derby.jar
  /home/myrna/oldderbyreleases/10.1.3.1/derby.jar
  /home/myrna/oldderbyreleases/10.2.1.6/derby.jar
  /home/myrna/oldderbyreleases/10.2.2.0/derby.jar

This also means, that if you have been running with the property set
and dirs with the 'lib' in the path (for example:
/home/myrna/oldderbyreleases/10.0.2.1/lib/derby.jar) you will now not
get any tests run for that old release.

The only way upgrade tests will not run with suites.All is if the
property has been set to an incorrect/non-existing directory.

Regards,
Myrna