db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Myrna van Lunteren" <m.v.lunte...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: discussion re DERBY-1746 - upgrade tests
Date Tue, 15 May 2007 20:51:40 GMT
andrew wrote:

> If you're removing all the other jars, why have the extra lib
> directory? Why not just put derby.jar in the directory with the
> version label?

Well, the current upgrade tests use 'lib', to mimic the 'real'
distribution pattern.
It's no problem to remove the lib, though - except for those who
maintain some kind of nightly testing environment and have the
-DderbyTesting.oldReleasePath already set. I can do this tomorrow if
it makes sense to everyone. just means I'd also modify
upgradeRun.java.

> > - modify svn:externals for <trunk>/tools/testing to:
> > derby https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/db/derby/jars
>
> It might make more sense to just map in the directories that
> correspond to the set of jars appropriate for upgrade testing. For
> trunk, this is all of the above, but that won't continue to be true
> for every branch as branches age and releases accumulate that are
> newer than the branch.

Wouldn't branches have their own svn:externals setting at some point?
That's how I was thinking of this.
But, sure, I actually was thinking of doing the mapping like that for
a while, currently my svn:externals looks like this:
derby/10.0.2.1/lib https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/db/derby/jars/10.0.2.1
derby/10.1.1.0/lib https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/db/derby/jars/10.1.1.0
derby/10.1.2.1/lib https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/db/derby/jars/10.1.2.1
derby/10.1.3.1/lib https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/db/derby/jars/10.1.3.1
derby/10.2.1.6/lib https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/db/derby/jars/10.2.1.6
derby/10.2.2.0/lib https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/db/derby/jars/10.2.2.0
I can remove the /lib.

> > This would also make it easy to copy the old jars around for platform
> > testing using only jars.
>
> I'm not sure I understand this comment. If you want to run the
> functional tests for a specific version, wouldn't you want the full
> set of jars for that version including the derbyTesting.jar?

I meant, for upgrade tests with the latest version.  That is, to run
suites.All including upgrade tests for trunk on a machine on which I
have not installed ant or svn, I can copy all jars of the release
under test, plus the entire derby/testing/derby dir - i.e. holding the
derby.jar of all older versions that the upgrade tests need to be run
against.

Myrna