db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Myrna van Lunteren" <m.v.lunte...@gmail.com>
Subject discussion re DERBY-1746 - upgrade tests
Date Tue, 15 May 2007 19:31:03 GMT
Hi,

I've found myself in a quandary with respect to the upgrade tests.
DERBY-1746 describes a problem with sealed jars - which was resolved
by Dan by converting the test to a junit test using a different
approach. I want to close this issue.

However, we now have a svn:externals setting that's unnecessary, and a
number of  releases with all jars in svn intended to be used by the
upgrade test, whereas the upgrade test only needs derby.jar.
svn:externals can only map directories, though.

While I don't think we can automatically force everyone to run the
junit upgrade tests with all older releases, we should make it as easy
as possible.

I like having all older releases' jar files readily available in svn -
however, I don't want to duplicate them, I don't want all files in my
trunk co, and I want the svn:externals to be as simple as possible and
not require maintenance for future older point releases. And I don't
actually access them that much and they're always available in the
offiical distribution files.

I propose the following:
- adjust the current old version files in
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/db/derby/jars to have a lib directory
and only contain derby.jar. remove all other jars.
- modify svn:externals for <trunk>/tools/testing to:
derby https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/db/derby/jars

The upgrade tests would then be run with suites.All like so:
java -DderbyTesting.oldReleasePath=<trunk>/tools/testing/derby
<junitrunner> org.apache.derbyTesting.functionTests.suites.All

This would also make it easy to copy the old jars around for platform
testing using only jars.

If I don't hear opposing comments, I'll implement this tomorrow (a.m. PDT).

Myrna