db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Myrna van Lunteren" <m.v.lunte...@gmail.com>
Subject 10.3 release & translated docs
Date Fri, 04 May 2007 18:04:29 GMT
Hi,

Two notices from Tomohito caught my attention, because I've been
wondering what to do about the translated documents for a while (ever
since we needed to change the licences), and especially more recently
since I took on the release management role for 10.3.

The first was a remark added to DERBY-2192; see:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-2192?page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel#action_12493654

The second, is the problems documented in DERBY-2473:

Translating the documents is a tremendous effort, and of great benefit.
However, there is no mechanism to keep these documents up to date.
Tomohito is doing a great job, but there's of course a lag between his
work and the ongoing work on the trunk.
And it appears that we've not had any contributions to the Brazilian
Portuguese for a long time.

I propose to not include the Portuguese documents in the 10.3 release.
In fact, I wonder if we should switch off the build of the Portuguese
docs altogether, and not include them in the 10.3 branch. Is that
possible? Or is it easier to branch them, but not release them?

It seems to me the Japanese docs are more up to date, but still
inevitably lag behind. It'll be a push to get some of the current doc
changes to the English docs finished by end of May, or so it seems to
me, translating them would take place thereafter...  Maybe it makes
sense to somehow release the Japanese docs separately from the main
docs?

Thx,
Myrna