db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Laura Stewart" <scotsmat...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Another collation question - Derby-1478 and Derby-2377
Date Fri, 18 May 2007 19:09:20 GMT
A couple of followup issues:

So I create a database with territory=en_US and collation=TERRITORY_BASED.

We say that that collation is based on the territory (in this case
english from the United States).  How does the user find out what that
means?  Is there some standard (Java or otherwise) that we can point
them to?

If the territory attbribute is set, but not the collation attribute,
we have indicated that the collation is the default Unicode codepoint
collation (UCS_BASIC). I googled "Unicode codepoint collation" and the
primary reference is to XML When I googled UCS_BASIC the references
are to Derby. Seems that we are using a non standard term here... The
unicode web site uses "Unicode Collation Algorithm"
http://unicode.org/reports/tr10/
Section 1.9 says
"1.9 The Unicode Collation Algorithm
The Unicode Collation Algorithm (UCA) provides a specification for how
to compare two Unicode strings while remaining conformant to the
requirements of The Unicode Standard. The UCA also supplies the
Default Unicode Collation Element Table (DUCET), which is data
specifying the default collation order for all Unicode characters.
This table is designed so that it can be tailored to meet the
requirements of different languages and customizations."

Do we support UCA?  Is it customized for Derby/Java?

It would be great to be able to use a well-defined term.

Is Derby's collation "well defined" by either the SQL and the Unicode standards?

--
Laura Stewart