db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Laura Stewart" <scotsmat...@gmail.com>
Subject Another collation question - Derby-1478 and Derby-2377
Date Wed, 16 May 2007 19:34:35 GMT
As part of adding the new attribute collation=TERRITORY_BASED, I think
that we need to describe how Derby handles collation.

I am trying to get my head around the best way to describe collation
in Derby... for 10.3

In general terms, a collating sequence is a defined ordering for
character data that determines whether a particular character sorts
higher, lower, or the same as another character.  Each character set
will also have a default collation.

In Derby, it is my understanding that all of our string data types are
represented as Unicode sequences.  Is that correct?

We should have a complete list of the data types that are impacted by
collation.
CHAR
VARCHAR
CLOB ?

Does Derby support the national character datatypes such as NCHAR/NVARCHAR2?

FYI - there is a feeling among some in the Internet community that the
term "character set" is not appropriate.  They tout character code,
character encoding, or character repertoire.

Does Derby support specifying codes?  Is that what the attribute
territory=l_CCI (example territory=es_MX) does?

Is there a complete listing of the territories that are supported...
maybe in a Java spec?

When you create a database, can you specify that the
default character set for CHAR columns be ASCII, and the character set
used for NCHAR be UTF8?

The Derby documentation mentions code sets, but only with relationship
to import/export topics or ij sessions...

Any insite that you can provide on this would be appreciated.

--
Laura Stewart