db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Andrew McIntyre" <mcintyr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: discussion re DERBY-1746 - upgrade tests
Date Tue, 15 May 2007 20:13:15 GMT
On 5/15/07, Myrna van Lunteren <m.v.lunteren@gmail.com> wrote:

> While I don't think we can automatically force everyone to run the
> junit upgrade tests with all older releases, we should make it as easy
> as possible.
>
> I like having all older releases' jar files readily available in svn -
> however, I don't want to duplicate them, I don't want all files in my
> trunk co, and I want the svn:externals to be as simple as possible and
> not require maintenance for future older point releases. And I don't
> actually access them that much and they're always available in the
> offiical distribution files.
>
> I propose the following:
> - adjust the current old version files in
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/db/derby/jars to have a lib directory
> and only contain derby.jar. remove all other jars.

If you're removing all the other jars, why have the extra lib
directory? Why not just put derby.jar in the directory with the
version label?

> - modify svn:externals for <trunk>/tools/testing to:
> derby https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/db/derby/jars

It might make more sense to just map in the directories that
correspond to the set of jars appropriate for upgrade testing. For
trunk, this is all of the above, but that won't continue to be true
for every branch as branches age and releases accumulate that are
newer than the branch.

> This would also make it easy to copy the old jars around for platform
> testing using only jars.

I'm not sure I understand this comment. If you want to run the
functional tests for a specific version, wouldn't you want the full
set of jars for that version including the derbyTesting.jar?

andrew