db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Stanley Bradbury <Stan.Bradb...@gmail.com>
Subject 10.3 Concern: Need to make DBO restrictions [Derby-2264] optional at upgrade
Date Fri, 25 May 2007 23:46:28 GMT
I feel strongly that the restrictions implemented by DERBY-2264 must be
tied to sqlAuthorization (or a new property of it's own) being turned
on.  The restrictions need to be optional at upgrade otherwise the
feature will, by default, break compatibility for some applications
using connection based authentication.  Put simply, removing the ability
for any user to shutdown or upgrade a database will cause failures in
systems that depend on that functionality.  I am certain that many Derby
users like the near-zero-admin nature of the old authentication system.
This feature introduces an administrative account.  Dag originally
suggested the feature be tied to sqlAuthorization (thank-you, Dag) when
he noted that the patch caused some tests in derbyall to fail.  Now that
I have had time work with the feature and better evaluate the impact I
see this as necessary for compatibility.  This issue will be logged in
JIRA before long but I chose to begin the discussion outside of JIRA to
increase mailbox visibility.  Any opinions - agreements/objections?

 - Stan

View raw message