db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Another collation question - Derby-1478 and Derby-2377
Date Thu, 17 May 2007 15:30:54 GMT
Laura Stewart wrote:
> As part of adding the new attribute collation=TERRITORY_BASED, I think
> that we need to describe how Derby handles collation.
>
> I am trying to get my head around the best way to describe collation
> in Derby... for 10.3
>
> In general terms, a collating sequence is a defined ordering for
> character data that determines whether a particular character sorts
> higher, lower, or the same as another character.  Each character set
> will also have a default collation.
>
> In Derby, it is my understanding that all of our string data types are
> represented as Unicode sequences.  Is that correct?

Yes, and I think that fact should be documented, at least in the ref
guide section for each string data type, CHAR, VARCHAR, LONG VARCHAR and
CLOB. I think also specifically that it is Unicode 2.0 which is the
version supported by Java 1.1. I don't think any changes have been made
to support later versions of Unicode, and I don't know what changes, if
any, would be required.

Dan.