db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Mike Matrigali <mikem_...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject is there any territory based collation that is exactly the same as the default binary based collation?
Date Mon, 14 May 2007 19:57:06 GMT
I was hoping once the collation work is mostly done to run a full set
of nightly tests somehow setting all the databases to be collation based
on some territory - hoping a huge percentage would work (ie. those not
dependent on a
specific territory). The best case would be a territory with ordering
that exactly matches the binary default of string comparison, but my
guess is a huge percentage of tests would be ok with a territory that
just handled same collation of ascii values (or maybe even just 26
lower, 26 upper and numbers).

At first I thought english might work, but ordering of cap vs lower case
is different.  So I was wondering if anyone knew an ordering that
would be better than english for data that is probably almost all
ascii characters.

I also don't quite know how I was going to do this.  Worst case I
thought I might just hack in my own codeline the create database
code to recognize a default setting of territory/collation and in
that case override it to something.  Seemed like this is a problem
that junit suites were setup to handle so maybe there is something
more elegant I could do there?