db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Jean T. Anderson" <...@bristowhill.com>
Subject Re: Copyright notice in the source file header
Date Mon, 07 May 2007 15:03:56 GMT
resending from the subscribed address (sorry for dup).

Kristian Waagan wrote:

>> Hello,
>>
>> When reviewing a patch I became unsure if the source file header should
>> include a copyright notice or not. I see that we have both in our repos.

which files in the repo now have copyrights? 10.2 and forward should
adhere to this policy:

http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html

10.1 and earlier adhere to the old policy, which included an Apache
copyright line on each source file. --That's fine. If we were to do a
new 10.1 release, which seems unlikely, then we would have to update
everything to conform to the new header.

>> According to some people I talked with, the copyright notice with dates
>> (years) should not be included. But, looking at
>> http://www.apache.org/dev/apply-license.html#new and
>> http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0.html#apply, it is clearly
>> stated that a copyright notice should be included.
>>
>> Have we decided not to include the copyright notice?
>> Can anyone clarify this for me?

Current policy says to not include the copyright line per-file and to
include the header on this page:

http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html

The apply-license.html file hasn't been updated yet, but nags are being
sent semi-regularly to legal-discuss [1].

If new copyrights (i.e., non-Apache) are being included in a patch, then
let's be sure to discuss case-by-case.

 -jean

[1]
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/www-legal-discuss/200704.mbox/%3cEFE326C4-415A-42F5-8F22-BAE1BA426425@SUN.com%3e