db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Mike Matrigali <mikem_...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: nested exceptions and junit tests?
Date Sat, 05 May 2007 13:51:09 GMT
I didn't report a JIRA as I didn't know what the expected behavior
was.

Kristian Waagan wrote:
> Mike Matrigali skrev:
>
>> Is the printing of nested exceptions a problem with my junit test
>> runner, our junit test, or something else.
>

> Hi Mike,
>
> Haven't checked this out, but I believe Derby is still using some
> "custom"/pre-1.4 error chaining. I have observed that sometimes the real
> error is not printed in the stack trace, even when I iterate through the
> whole chain available using the standard mechanism (outside of JUnit).
> However, the real error (usually?) shows up in derby.log.

If I am using junit.swingui.TestRunner or junit.textui.TestRunner
and if there is no problem with the error chaining should I expect these
tools to print the chained exception?

> The test I have been working on lately (EncryptionKeyTest) seems to
> suffer from this issue, so I'll have a look at it over the weekend to
> confirm if what I just described is actually the case or not.
>
> Are there some Jiras on this issue as well?

I didn't report a JIRA as I didn't know what the expected behavior
was.  The specific instance I saw was DERBY-2613, but I have checked
in a fix for the actual problem, so to reproduce using that one you
will have to get your client to before change 535466.

In that case the error was a database startup error:

XJ040.C=Failed to start database ''{0}'', see the next exception for
details.

The code that packages up that exception is in the following routine -
is that "custom" chaining?:
opensource/java/engine/org/apache/derby/impl/jdbc/EmbedConnection.java!bootDatabase()