db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Knut.Hat...@Sun.COM
Subject Re: upgrade and compiled statements in SYSSTATEMENTS - question
Date Sat, 28 Apr 2007 07:43:51 GMT
Mike Matrigali <mikem_app@sbcglobal.net> writes:

> My assumption for both soft and hard upgrade on changes to
> objects in compiled parts of queries was that I did not have
> to worry about upgrade.  That any change to query plan data
> structures stored on disk would be taken care of automatically
> by just dropping them on any release number change.
>
> Is that valid?

If you by "any release number change" mean change of major or minor
release number, yes. On soft upgrade, the queries will be read directly
from org/apache/derby/impl/jdbc/metadata.properties or
org/apache/derby/impl/sql/catalog/metadata_net.properties. On hard
upgrade, the statements in SYSSTATEMENTS will be dropped, re-read from
metadata(_net).properties and recompiled.

There are some more details on the wiki:
http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/MetadataUpgrade

--
Knut Anders