db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Dag.Wan...@Sun.COM (Dag H. Wanvik)
Subject Re: Database implementation help
Date Wed, 11 Apr 2007 00:52:25 GMT
Dyre.Tjeldvoll@Sun.COM writes:

> As for paper/book. I guess that if you order a copy of the SQL
> standard (with complete grammar) from ISO (www.iso.org) and get the manual
> for JavaCC you should have pretty much what you need. At least to get
> started...
>
> Wild idea: Maybe you could write a script which converts the grammar
> decription in the standard into a JavaCC grammar representation?

A caveat: typically, a descriptive grammar needs to be tweaked (often
a lot) to be useful as an input to parser generators, though, due to
grammar class restrictions. JavaCC is of type LL(k),
cf. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Parsing_algorithms

How far the ISO SQL grammar is from being LL(k) "out of the box", I
don't know.

Thanks,
Dag