db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Knut Anders Hatlen <Knut.Hat...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: 0.05% of test fixtures contribute 53% of the total running time!!
Date Tue, 24 Apr 2007 07:50:15 GMT
Øystein Grøvlen <Oystein.Grovlen@Sun.COM> writes:

> Daniel John Debrunner wrote:
>> In a test run (junit-all) of 5,816 fixtures that took 4124 seconds
>> (~68mins) *three* fixtures took 53% of the total time.
>>
>> testPositionAgressive                1564.684 seconds
>> testNetworkServerSecurityMechanism    497.280 seconds
>> testTypesInActionStatement            128.928 seconds
>>
>> I think testNetworkServerSecurityMechanism is being worked on but is
>> anyone looking at reducing the time for testPositionAgressive?
>>
>> I'll take a look at the testTypesInActionStatement since I added that test.
>
> I will take a look at testPosisitionAgressive since I am currently
> working with the BlobClob4BlobTest.  It suprises me a bit that it
> takes so long time since I do not think I have experience so long run
> times for the entire BlobClob4BlobTest.
>
> Do you have some tips on how to measure the duration of individual
> test cases.

I once wrote my own test runner which printed the time in milliseconds
for each test case, see the attached TimeRunner.java.

Note that testPositionAgressive doesn't always take that much time. I
think that test and the other testPosition tests use random offset and
length and therefore the variation is high. Last time I timed the tests
(one week ago), these tests were top ten:

testNetworkServerSecurityMechanism 363.902 seconds
derbyStress                        192.423 seconds
testParameterMapping               172.574 seconds
derbyStress                        117.360 seconds
testResultSetGarbageCollection      91.856 seconds
testResultSetGarbageCollection      91.237 seconds
SecureServerTest                    62.783 seconds
testDeleteRowWithDeleteTrigger      60.398 seconds
testDeleteRowWithDeleteTrigger      60.201 seconds
SetQueryTimeoutTest                 41.896 seconds

(the duplicates on the list are because the tests ran in both embedded
and client/server)

In this run, testPositionAgressive used 4.233 seconds and 2.947 seconds.

--
Knut Anders