db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Mamta Satoor" <msat...@gmail.com>
Subject DERBY-1478 Lineitem DERBY-2599: Associating correct collation type and derivation with DTD
Date Mon, 30 Apr 2007 18:13:07 GMT
Hi,

I am working on putting the correct collation type and derivation for DTDs.
The approach I am taking is to change all the constructors for DTDs to
accept the collation type and derivation. It will be the responsibility of
the caller of the DTD constructor to pass this information for all different
kinds of DTDs, ie whether the DTD is for collation sensitive datatypes
(which include the character string datatypes), or all the other
non-collation sensitive datatypes (eg numeric, binary etc,). For non
collation sensitive datatypes, the caller will pass collation derivation of
"none" which will mean that collation type of such datatypes should be
ignored.

I just wanted to bring it to community's attention that this approach of
changing the DTD constructor signature is requiring lot of changes since all
the callers now have to taken on the task of passing the collation type and
derivation. I think that is the right approach ie have callers take on the
responsibility of associating the collation types and derivations for their
DTDs. Let me know if anyone has any feedback on how I am approaching this.

thanks,
Mamta