db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Myrna van Lunteren" <m.v.lunte...@gmail.com>
Subject Discussion: Next release version number: Derby 10.3 or 11.0
Date Fri, 20 Apr 2007 18:39:29 GMT
Hi,

As the release manager for the next release, I need to nail this down...

This is the last discussion mail on this - I plan to call a vote on
this early next week.

The issue is: are the incompatibilities described at the bottom of:
http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/DerbyTenThreeRelease
large/serious enough, and the new features for the next release big
enough, to call the next release version 11.0?

Rick posted to the user list to canvas for opinions as there was no
clear decision rolling out of the developer list. Two people replied,
both indicated a new version would indeed make them more careful with
upgrade, but not so careful they wouldn't upgrade.

(For reference see these earlier threads:
http://www.nabble.com/Q:-Should-Derby-10.3-be-Derby-11--t3260195i20.html
http://www.nabble.com/Naming-the-next-Derby-feature-release-t3329320.html
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/db-derby-user/200703.mbox/%3c45E731CA.5020401@sun.com%3e)

Currently, I'm inclined to call the next release 10.3.

There are some good new features, but not as many as we had for 10.2.
The incompatibilities will not affect everyone, and have work-arounds
that appear feasible.
An update to 10.2 - i.e. a release called 10.2.2.3 I'd expect without
incompatibilities, 10.2 to 10.3 without basic incompatibilities.
In this case, we really have a border situation - some existing
applications that took advantage of gaps in derby security will have
to plug those gaps; I think those incompatibilities are acceptable in
a minor release.

Opinions?

Myrna