db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Laura Stewart" <scotsmat...@gmail.com>
Subject Parameters vs Arguments in Derby Procedures
Date Wed, 18 Apr 2007 18:34:30 GMT
The Derby documentation needs to be accurate with regard to it's use
of the terms "parameter" and "argument". So I want to be certain that
I have an accurate understanding of the difference between parameters
and arguments.

It is my understanding that the syntax (or declaration) of the
procedure defines the parameters.  And an argument represents the
value you supply to a parameter when you call the procedure. There are
IN, OUT, and INOUT arguments.

For example, in the Derby IMPORT procedure
SYSCS_UTIL.SYSCS_IMPORT_TABLE, the syntax is:

SYSCS_UTIL.SYSCS_IMPORT_TABLE (schemaName, tableName, fileName,
columnDelimiter, characterDelimiter, codeset, replace)

These are the parameter names.  Yes?  And when you supply the values,
those values are arguments. Yes?  So should the topic "Arguments to
the import procedures" which describes the schemaName, tableName, etc
be called "Arguments to ..." or "Parameters to.." ???

In my mind, it should be called "Parameters to the import procedures"
well actually "Parameters for the import procedures" bur that is a
separate issue :-)

Please help me have a clear understanding of  the terms "parameter"
and "argument".  Thanks!

--
Laura Stewart