db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Bernt M. Johnsen" <Bernt.John...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Discussion: Next release version number: Derby 10.3 or 11.0
Date Wed, 25 Apr 2007 08:56:05 GMT
Andrew McIntyre wrote:
> 10.3 would get my vote as well.
>
> I don't see any mention about security changes on the
> ForwardCompatibility page. Maybe there should be an exception that
> security fixes / improvements may occur in a minor release even if
> they impact interfaces declared stable, since that seems reasonable
> and would reflect the current situation if we release as version 10.3?

Well....

"Tools (ij, dblook, etc.) command-line name and arguments" is in this proposal
set to "Stable" which is defined to "Incompatible change allowed in major
release (X.0)"

In my environment,

java -jar derbyrun.jar server start
	has to be changed to
java -jar derbyrun.jar server start -noSecurityManager

So, if ForwardCompatibility had been voted as the interface rules we are to
follow, we would be obliged to call this 11.0. The other possibility would be to
run without securitymanager by default, which then again would not be "secure by
default".

> andrew
Sun Microsystems, Trondheim, Norway