db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Looking at the code generated by the code generation phase
Date Sat, 21 Apr 2007 23:12:22 GMT
Mamta Satoor wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Derby compiler generates byte code during code generation phase. My
> question is how can one look at that generated code in human readable
> form, say in Java language? Also, where is this generated code kept in
> the file system?

There is a debug flag to dump the generated byte code into a class file,
called 'DumpClassFile'. I think derby.system.home needs to be set as well.

Then the byte code for the classpath can be inspected using javap, see
this posting for details.

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/db-derby-dev/200512.mbox/%3C2056764124.1133476591541.JavaMail.jira@ajax.apache.org%3E

The byte code for Derby's generated classes doesn't always naturally map
to Java source code, so while one could try a java decompiler on the
class file, it may not be that readable.

HTH,
Dan.