db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Mike Matrigali <mikem_...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: how should store get an object based on format id and collation id?
Date Tue, 17 Apr 2007 01:43:01 GMT

Daniel John Debrunner wrote:
> Mike Matrigali wrote:

> I'd assumed that every time a collation was needed that enough meta data
> was available to determine the collation. For example with language
> based comparisons the collation will be known at compile time and thus
> can be used. For index based collation the metadata must be available
> already today because the collations must be using the asc/desc flag.
>
> Assuming that is true, then no need to store the collation in the
> DVD/SQLChar.

I was working off the discussion we had in march, though at this point
I think we should only have a
     dvd = datavaluefactory.getInstance(format_id, collator_id)

I can generate new dvd from an existing dvd with:
     newdvd = olddvd.getNewNull();

Here is a piece of that discussion from march 20th:

> Mike Matrigali wrote:

> My opinion is that this work should be done in the datavalue factory and not outside.
 Dan suggested at one point that some of the work of generating classes/instances should move
from Monitor to datavalue factory.

>  So I was assuming something like RowUtil.newClassInfoTemplate instead of calling Monitor.classFromIdentifier(format_ids[i])
get an array of
> InstanceGetter's, it would call something like
> datavaluefactory.classFromIdentifier(format_ids[i], collator_ids[i]) -
> then every InstanceGetter would produce the right type with collator set
> from then on.

+1

Dan.