db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Mike Matrigali <mikem_...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: how should store get an object based on format id and collation id?
Date Thu, 12 Apr 2007 16:29:45 GMT

Mamta Satoor wrote:
> If we decide to provide static interface on DataValueFactory, then the
> Locale field and the RuleBasedCollator will need to be static too since
> we the static interfaces will need access to RuleBasedCollator. Because
> of this I am leaning more towards have non-static interface on DVF to
> get the correct DVD. I wonder if store in it's boot method can get the
> DataValueFactory with something like following
> DataValueFactory dvf = (DataValueFactory)
> Monitor.bootServiceModule(create,
> this, org.apache.derby.iapi.reference.ClassName.DataValueFactory,
> startParams);
> And then use this dvf to construct the DVD template row.
>
> As for the DTSClassInfo, the earlier discussion on this topic
> (http://www.nabble.com/Collation-implementation-WAS-Re%3A-Should-COLLATION-attribute-related-code-go-in-BasicDatabase--p9496608.html

> <http://www.nabble.com/Collation-implementation-WAS-Re%3A-Should-COLLATION-attribute-related-code-go-in-BasicDatabase--p9496608.html>)

> was to first just get the DVD based on the format id and then check if
> dvd is instance of StringDataValue and if so, then call getValue on that
> dvd to get collation sensitive implementations of character DVD classes.
> I copied following from
> http://www.nabble.com/Collation-implementation-WAS-Re%3A-Should-COLLATION-attribute-related-code-go-in-BasicDatabase--p9496608.html

> <http://www.nabble.com/Collation-implementation-WAS-Re%3A-Should-COLLATION-attribute-related-code-go-in-BasicDatabase--p9496608.html>
> if (dvd instanceof StringDataValue)
>              dvd = dvd.getValue(dvf.getCharacterCollator(type));
I was working off the assumption from the following thread that
datavalue factory would provide the high level interface to get a dvd
based on format id and collate id.  And if the work you describe above
is necessary it would be hidden behind the interface:
http://www.nabble.com/Should-COLLATION-attribute-related-code-go-in-BasicDatabase--tf3397113.html#a9583739

I'll look at building/using DataFactory interface.  It will be some
additional overhead for straight path through store, but should be
minimal.  Will need help in actual implementation of interface to
get right values - but I can submit an initial implementation that
just works for default collations first.