db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Mike Matrigali <mikem_...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: Page could not be read from disk
Date Tue, 10 Apr 2007 22:02:52 GMT

Jessie Lee wrote:
> Hi, Steve & Bryan,
>
> Bryan Pendleton <bpendleton@...> writes:
>

>>>thrown executing the JAVA method java.io.RandomAccessFile.readFully
>>>caused by the end of the file (EOF) being reached unexpectedly. It would
>>>be good to check your disk and system logs for reports of Disk or I/O
>>>problems.
>>

> I copied the whole database to the other machine and ran the same query that
> caused the exception - got the same exception.  So, looks like it's not
> hardware problem.
This is good information, but does not necessarily mean not a hardware
problem.
Unfortunately these problems can be caused by hardware errors in the
past causing a persistent problem on disk, leaving the db in a bad
state.  Once it is in the bad state the problem most likely persists --
even when copied to another machine.  This is definitely the case with
bad checksum errors.

Providing a listing of the database directory, with names and sizes of
the files my provide some more info (ie. ls -l on unix).  Also what
OS/JVM are you using.  The page number is short of the magic 2 gig
number assuming 32k page size, but is getting close.  We have seen
some JVM bugs and OS limitations with respect to files of 2 gig or
bigger.