db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Army <qoz...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Possible wrong results bug involving column order in UNION view
Date Wed, 04 Apr 2007 23:04:07 GMT
Bryan Pendleton wrote:
> I'm confused by the behavior of the small SQL script included
> below. I think both select statements should return 1 row, but
> in fact the first statement returns 1 row and the second returns
> zero rows.

As far as I can tell you are correct: both statements should be returning one row.

> This seems like a bug to me; the order of the columns in the view
> definition shouldn't matter, should it?

I wouldn't think so, no.  I tend to agree that this is a bug.

> Can somebody try this and confirm my results?

I confirmed your results with trunk, an early 10.1, and even with 10.0.  So
while this does appear to be a bug, it does not appear to be a regression (or to
be more blunt, it's not caused by the DERBY-805 changes, which is always the
first thing I check :)

> Does anyone have a theory about what might be happening?

Not off the top of my head, no.  Certainly worth investigating, though.  Is this
something you might be looking at more?  Either way, can you file a Jira for
tracking?

Army