db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Dag.Wan...@Sun.COM (Dag H. Wanvik)
Subject Re: Possible problem in org.apache.derby.impl.store.access.BackingStoreHashTableFromScan
Date Fri, 16 Mar 2007 17:24:15 GMT
Jeffrey Clary <jclary@actuate.com> writes:

> I'm new to Derby and to these lists, so I'm not sure what I am reporting
> is a bug or expected behavior.  You can see an earlier question I asked
> on the derby-user list 3/15/2007 titled "Heap container closed exception
> (2 statements on same connection)."

I think this must be a bug.  Like you noted, the backing store for the
hash table used here is opened without setting the keepAfterCommit,
which is needed with holdability. I made a trial patch to propagate
this setting down from the activation, and the test works, but I don't
know about any possible side effects.

Does anybody know a reason for the comment on this line of code in
BackingStoreHashTableFromScan.java:101 ?

       :
line 101 >  false /* Do not keep the hash table after a commit. */);
       :

I know we keep a hash backing store table across commits already in
the case of insensitive scrollable result sets; here is is used to
back up a hash join.

I'll try to run the regression test with the patch and see if it blows up.

You may file a JIRA bug issue for this if you like, or, if you prefer,
I can do it.

Dag

--
Dag H. Wanvik
Sun Microsystems, Database Technology Group (DBTG)