db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Dag.Wan...@Sun.COM (Dag H. Wanvik)
Subject Re: a client can crash connections of another client!
Date Sat, 10 Mar 2007 03:42:40 GMT

Quartz <quartz12h@yahoo.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Using 10.2.2.0.
> Critical bug. Steps to reproduce:
>
> 1-Start a NetworkServerControl
> 2-Start a 1st client (sqlworkbench/J), show some rows of some db, table X (stay connected)
> 3-Start a 2nd client (sqlworkbench/J), show some rows of some db, table X.
> 4-disconnect 2nd client
> 5-redo the 1st client query (refresh)
>
> You get a non architected message, sqlstate 58009, db errorcode -4499.
> In derby log, I see a shutdown of the database, and a restart.
>
> I don't care how badly and corrupted a client connection can get, nor if the client connection
is
> a bug in any client. Such corruption should never destabilise a "server",
> certainly not other clients connections.

Could this be the same as DERBY-256?  I don't see your example showing
a (database) shutdown, but you mention it next. If you provide a
detailed repro script it would be really helpful! :) For example using
the ij tool.

> It may be that the client tries to shutdown the DB, but it shouldn't have such priviledge
since it
> is a "client", NOT over an Embedded connection.

The privilege to shut down a database in 10.2 is not protected. In
10.3, only the database owner will have this power, cf DERBY-2264.
The power to shutdowna Derby system will be controlled by system
priviliges, cf. DERBY-2109.

Dag