db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Dyre.Tjeldv...@Sun.COM
Subject Re: I need help to delete files attached to a wrong JIRA issue
Date Fri, 02 Mar 2007 18:49:26 GMT
Daniel John Debrunner <djd@apache.org> writes:

> Laura Stewart wrote:
>> This has happened to me as well... are only certain people authorized
>> to remove attachments?
>> I did what you indicated, I posted the correct files and added a
>> note,
>> but I would have preferred to be able to remove the files...

This discussion seems to surface with regular intervals. Clearly quite
a few people have been affected by this limitation. Personally I find
it extremely annoying to see spelling mistakes in my jira comments,
and not be able to correct them.

I know I can add a new comment which explains the error, but this does
not always help. If I've written something that wasn't terribly clear
at the beginning of a Jira discussion I tend to get questions about
it, even if I have tried to explain it better in a later comment.

> Keeping the history of the patch is sometimes useful.

Is there really a contradiction here? I don't think anyone argues that
old versions of patches should be deleted. I'm sorry, but I can't see
how editing an unclear comment or spelling mistake destroys the
history. Or for that matter removing a patch that was attached to the
wrong issue by mistake.

I find the current policy rather draconian and I think a
common sense approach with clear guidelines cautioning against
destroying the history would work just as well.

--
dt