db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Dyre.Tjeldv...@Sun.COM
Subject Re: I need help to delete files attached to a wrong JIRA issue
Date Fri, 02 Mar 2007 19:21:18 GMT
Andrew McIntyre <mcintyre.a@gmail.com> writes:

> On 3/2/07, Dyre.Tjeldvoll@sun.com <Dyre.Tjeldvoll@sun.com> wrote:
>>
>> Is there really a contradiction here? I don't think anyone argues that
>> old versions of patches should be deleted. I'm sorry, but I can't see
>> how editing an unclear comment or spelling mistake destroys the
>> history. Or for that matter removing a patch that was attached to the
>> wrong issue by mistake.
>
> The problem is that there is no granularity to JIRA's delete
> privilege. If you can delete a comment, you can delete attachments or
> whole issues.
>
>> I find the current policy rather draconian and I think a
>> common sense approach with clear guidelines cautioning against
>> destroying the history would work just as well.
>
> While that holds true for community members, does it hold true for
> anyone on the internet with access to JIRA? Probably not.

No probably not. But the top of the Jira Dashboard says:

"Anyone is free to find issues. You must register and login if you
want to create, comment, vote, or watch issues. Only developers can
edit, prioritize, schedule and resolve issues."

I always assumed that this meant that only developers had delete
privileges. But I'm sure you're right... :)

> Until recently, granting delete power was all-or-nothing.
> Conveniently, a recent JIRA update introduced the idea of project
> roles. With a little work, project roles (PMC member, committer,
> contributor) can be assigned, thus restricting delete power to a
> reasonable set of community members. I just haven't had time to go
> through the derby-developers group in JIRA and assign project roles to
> each member. I'll let you know once I do (or Jean or Rick can try and
> beat me to it) and you'll be able to delete comments and attachments
> again.

Thanks for doing this. I think many will appreciate this. I know I will.

--
dt