db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Luigi Lauro <luigi.la...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DERBY-2469] First alpha implementation available - help needed :)
Date Tue, 27 Mar 2007 19:58:13 GMT

On 27 Mar 2007, at 19:46, David Van Couvering wrote:

> Hi, Luigi.  Another pot-shot from the side :)

Thanks David. I knew I could count on ya man! :P

> I think it's great you are already submitting some code!  Very
> impressed!

It is not a huge feature to implement, the challenge is getting it
right gived by poor derby internals knowledge and my nearly 0
experience with apache and derby development :)

I lost tons of times by trying to understand exactly how the
StorageFactory/StorageFile implementations should behave.

The javadoc aren't 100% clear (yes I know I could submit a better
javadoc patch, but let's do one thing at a time k? :P), but the
abstract class (BaseStorageFactory) and the available implementations
(CP, Jar, Dir) really helped me out to shed some light :)

> I'd review this, except it's really not my area of expertise.
> Heck, I'll look at it anyway.

You da man! :P

> But I wanted to alert you to how Apache communities work.  You may
> proudly submit some feature like this, and ask for a review.  Then
> what you get instead is deafening silence.  Bummer!
> But don't take it personally.  Your job is to be the squeaky
> wheel.  If you don't hear anything (give it 72 hours), send out a
> gentle reminder for someone to please review.

That's what I was planning to do. And no, I wasn't expecting anything
at all, i mean: this is opensource development, anything is
volountereed, nothing can be pretended of course :)

It's just that given my poor understanding of apache/derby/
storageXXX, I was looking forward to some derby hacker to have a look
at my code and say "hey dumb! You did these 139 mistakes I noticed at
first glance you know?" instead of going on with me struggling to
understand what is right and what is wrong.

Help is appreciated then, but not stricly requested. I will go on and
'close' this RFE even if I have to do this all alone. It'll take longer.

> I really think that there is interest in this, so hopefully someone
> will pay attention who knows this area better than I, and commit it.

Let's hope so.

> I'll take a look, too, and see what initial issues I find.

Lookin' forward to it!

Thanks David

Luigi